One million euros available for opportunities for children
24 May 2017
SABA/ST. EUSTATIUS--Last week, the social organizations on Saba, Bonaire and St. Eustatius were informed about the new funding scheme “Opportunities for all Children” of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment SZW. From 2017 until 2021 one million euros will be made available, with the aim to provide all children up to seventeen years old and who are growing up in poverty on the islands with the opportunity to participate in society.
To make this project known to the public information sessions were held on all three islands. Commissioner of Bonaire Nina den Heyer was happy to see a packed house with all people who have a heart for children. In her address she spoke of how important it is to work together in order to reach as many children in need as possible.
Commissioner Rolando Wilson of Saba spoke to social organizations and stressed that for Saba it is important to set the right priorities and to work together as much as possible to be able to help the target group.
Perla Duinkerk spoke on behalf of Commissioner Derrick Simmons and said that Statia is “happy” with the additional resources. “In the context of children’s rights it is important that every child can participate. This now offers St. Eustatius the opportunity to help this group of children,” Duinkerk said.
The annual sum of one million euros will be distributed as follows: 550,000 euros for Bonaire, 250,000 euros for Statia and 200,000 euros for Saba. Half of the one million euros is equally divided among the islands. The rest of the sum is divided in relation to the number of children.
Applications may be submitted for a minimum of 10,000 euros and maximum of 50,000 euros. Organizations can submit multiple applications. The total amount for these requests can be up to a maximum of 100,000 euros.
Applications can be submitted between Monday, May 29, at 9:00am and June 12, at 5:00pm by sending an email message to kansenvoorallekinderenCN@minszw.nl.
Requests will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis, provided that the submitted information is complete. Applications submitted outside the mentioned period cannot be processed. This means that it is not possible to submit any applications before May 29, at 9:00am. An application form can be downloaded via www.rijksdienstcn/socialezakenenwerkgelegenheid.
Source: The Daily Herald, St. Maarten